Chronology of the Parish

Rate this item
(4 votes)

Saint James Church, 73 North Road currently Brighton Vic 3186 for a time Elsternwick, for a time Gardenvale, for a time Brighton …

1853

Land grant to the Catholic Church - North Road Gardenvale

1861

Core of the current presbytery was built as centre of the Brighton Mission

1880s

Melbourne's boom years - Saint James became centre of new Mission named the 'Elsternwick Mission'

1882

First wooden Church on the present site and doubled as schoolhouse on weekdays

1883

Arrival of the Presentation Sisters, from Wagga Wagga

1888

Presbytery was enlarged more or less to its current form

1891

Completion of main body of the Church
Celebration of the First Mass - 15th November 1891, blessed and opened by Bishop Reville, Co-Adjutor Bishop of Sandhurst Diocese

1892

Establishment of the Parish of Saint James

1924

Completion of stage two of Church (Transepts, apse, chapels and sacristies were added)

1934

Church consecrated

1939

Completion of opus sectile work in main sanctuary and side chapels

1990

Installation of Bell tower and Bells (total cost $500,000)

1991

Centenary celebrations

2010

Completion and opening of the Building Education Revolution Project
Resurfacing of parish tennis courts
The New Normal process gets underway

2012

Year of consolidating our Parish's Co-responsible New Normal and establishing our Parish Pastoral Leadership Team to administer it

2013

Establishment of our Parish Pastoral Leadership Team and it gets underway with Jan Grant, David Taranto & ...

7 April

Acknowledgement and Thankyou Sunday Morning Tea for the following Parish Ministry Groups: Parish Lectors, Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist, Collectors, & Counters 

19 May

Acknowledgement and Thankyou Sunday Morning Tea for the following Parish Ministry Groups: Children's Liturgy Group, Prayer & Liturgy Group, Bell Ringers, Church Linen, Church Flowers & Parish Choir